The summer arrived in Ireland this weekend… or at least it was a very sunny weekend ! This gave James and I the idea of throwing an impromptu BBQ for us and a couple of friends. We only decided late on Friday night so had no time to plan, shop or prepare. So I thought it might be fun to share with you how we throw an impromptu BBQ.
If you follow the 15 ‘ easy peasy’ steps I share with you in this week’s YouTube video you’ll be throwing impromptu BBQs in no time !! And below you can check out the menu we used and a few other fun photos of the evening !
Because we had no time to plan or even think of a creative menu this was really thrown together by what we had in the house and what I could easily buy and prepare in a couple of hours – don’t worry Nigella and Jamie – your statuses as top chefs are safe – I’m not going to claim your crowns with my super tasty [ but slightly unadventurous ] impromptu BBQ menu.
There were six of us for the our impromptu BBQ. Myself, James, our 2 besties and their 2 kiddies [ and of course our plethora of furbabies who couldn’t wait to get a bite ! ]. So what was on the menu ? Well we decided on a good auld fashioned meat and salad BBQ – purely because its easy, tasty and everyone loves it !
Nibbles to start included:
- Vegetable Pakoras [ Ours were the shop bought, in the freezer kind, but you can find a very tasty recipe here ]
- French Cheese Pull Apart Bread [ ala Tasty – this I’d wanted to try for awhile – it was amazeballs ! ]
The Main Event included:
- Beef Burgers & Gluten Free Baps [natch] with all the trimmings
- Steak & Black Pepper Sausages
- Whiskey BBQ Chicken Skewers *
- Mango, Lime & Sweet Chilli Prawn Skewers *
- Potato Salad *
- Baked Sweet Potatoes [ baked on the BBQ coals… A-MAZ-ING !]
- Caesar Salad
- BBQ’d Corn on the Cob
- Of course every sauce & condiment in the press [ possibly the world ].
* My own little concoctions – if you’d like the ‘recipes’ let me know in the comments below
Sweet Treats included:
- Strawberry & Cream Tart [ ala Lidl ]
- American Jelly Beans
- Tropical Fruit Jellies
Nibbles for later included:
- Doritos & Dip
- Cashew Nuts
- Iced Peach & Elderflower Tea Cocktail *
- Pink Prosecco
- Summer Fruit Cordial
* This was of our own making and was basically us throwing Iced Peach Tea, Elderflower, White Wine, Triple Sec, Vodka, Tropical Juice and Soda Water into a jug with a whole load of ice and hoping for the best ! – The result was delish !!
My top impromptu BBQ throwing tips ?
- Steep wooden skewers in water for as long as you can before using them. [ This prevents charing ]
- Always ensure your dishwasher is empty before the guests arrive.
- Use paper plates & napkins where you can.
- You can never have too much food at a BBQ – BBQ leftovers are amazing AND guests love to go home with doggy bags !
- Using wood chips to ‘flavour’ your wood adds sooo many new dimensions to your BBQ !
- You don’t have to serve perfect food – a BBQ is the one menu/meal you can burn and it be 100% ok. [ I said burn, not cremet people !].
- Have some wraps and jumpers on hand for all your guests as the evening gets cooler.
- Have entertainment/ movies/ games and treats ready for the kids !
All in all we all rolled [home] to bed… we of course didn’t get around to cleaning the BBQ for days. But I’m really looking forward to throwing out next one ! What do you like to do and serve when you’re throwing an impromptu BBQ ?